Friday 17 January 2014

Blessings Flow......

Once the decision to be a part of this team was made, the real work began. That included raising the funds to pay for the building supplies, the food distribution program and now the equipment for the eye clinic.
First, I really like this organization because all volunteers pay their costs in travel and accommodations. That is an important qualifier for me to be involved. There are organizations that cover these cost for people who give their time but that means that, often, a significant portion of funds raised go to those who probably could afford to pay for it themselves. I know, that at times we feel the financial pinch of the declining economy. I am someone who, after years of making a very good living for myself,  didn't have any source of income for about 4 years due to a careless driver. Yes going back to school meant living on a month less than what I make in a week now but even then, with careful planning, good management and an excellent support community, I lived a fair lifestyle. I had a heated home, good food, clothes to wear, glasses to see, a car to drive. It meant not going out to eat often, not being able buying my favourite Fluevog shoes, not having data or text options on my 6yr old cell phone and spending vacation on my back deck instead of exploring new destinations and not being able to save money. My worst day is a high standard of life for most of the people that I will work with during my stay in the Dominican.

So as I asked others for donations and support, I also looked at my own lifestyle choices and did some reasonable amendments in respect for where I was going and who I was serving. No new glasses, no new Fluevogs, no Christmas or Birthday presents please. The truth is, I have more than enough, more than I need, more than I should even want. The return was so much more than I could ever have imagined.
I didn't do a hard campaign. I just let people know what I was doing, how much or what was needed and let them decide what they could do. I started a Facebook Page, called some of my suppliers at work and called my professional associations. My approach was simple-Tell people what I was doing, be specific in what I hoped they could give, be grateful for whatever they offered and be gracious if they couldn't help at this time. The big ask was for an auto refractor- a machine that helps with the measurements of eyes and gives a close up look for assessments. It would also be a challenge to get a piece of equipment like that transported to the village as it couldn't be handled as regular baggage but I had faith that if a machine was donated, then getting to the Dominican would work out too.
Word spread quickly, and just as quickly, my generous and kind community stepped up with donations. A surprise call from Lindsay at the Opticians Association of Canada in October gave us a huge boost when both the OAC and the Ontario Opticians Association sponsored our team $500 each. They became official sponsors of our team shirts, in addition they are  following our mission and the development and set up of the eye clinic in their national newsletter. It was a terrific article and I was then getting emails and calls from across Canada from other opticians about what they could do to help and even some asking how they could be  apart of something like this.

From $5 to $500 every dollar has been a blessing and we completed our fund-raising goal at the end of December with just over $11,000 for building supplies and the food distribution. On top of this there was $1280 for supplies for the eye clinic! An amazing call came in November. Lorne Kashin, president of the OOA had emailed me to congratulate me on my mission and to ask about anything I needed. I thanked him for the donation and said that I was still waiting and hoping for a donation of an auto refractor. He asked where I had inquired and after a bit of discussion he said he would make a few inquiries and get back to me. Just a few days later, Geoff Briede of Axis Medical confirmed that they would have an autorefractor for us!

One of my co-workers and fellow optician, Jamie, said that he had a bunch of tools from when his father was in practice as an Optician and that he would be honoured to give them to the start up clinic.

In the meantime, bags and bags of donated glasses were dropped off and collected. I was grateful that my bosses were very open to letting me sort, clean, repair and neutralized hundreds of glasses during our slow times over the last few months. Those snow days became very productive! Student opticians, Stephanie and Meghan and I spent hours preparing glasses for distribution.

With the additional funds, I was able to buy additional tools, supplies for future repairs and even more exciting NEW glasses thanks to our local lab and supplier doing the work(edging and assembly) for free and the frames and lenses at a discounted cost!

It is so exciting to be able bring such great supplies to the people in the villages that we are going to serve. It is good that we can get them set up to care for people's sight long after I am there for just a few days.
I am truly grateful for everyone's support, generousity and kindness. I'm not doing this, we are doing this together.

No comments:

Post a Comment