Tuesday 28 January 2014

Training Day

Once again we awoke to a beautiful sunrise over the ocean knowing that at home they were facing -22C and blowing snow. Today I would be separating from my team and working with Karen and Carol to train them on the new equipment and with the new tools and learning about their system so that I could conduct a full clinic on Wednesday. My friend Karen, on our team, took one look at my attire and said "I take it you're not working with us today" No but can I just say that the breakfast buffet included some of the best chicken wings ever and that is just a BRILLIANT idea!
We all boarded the bus to the construction site at Villa Samaritano but were met with some challenges get up the hill once again. This time a delivery truck has dumped a load of sand, it was trying to bring on site, half way up the road. Workers were manually shoveling to clear the pile but it left very little room for our over sized bus/van to pass through. Driver Eddie paused only for a moment but then was sure he could pass. With some artful weaving on that treacherous grade he made it pass the spill and up the hill with us cheering him on.
We had done a lot in just 1 day!
Jane, Director John's wife and partner in all duties, retrieved me from the site and dropped me off at Karen's for the rest of the day. Eager learners, Karen and Carol quickly took to learning the auto refractor, how it related to the presciptions on the glasses, what the PD meant, how to measure them, how it affected fitting glasses, how to clean glasses in the new ultra sonic cleaner, how to repair and replace parts on frames.

I tried not to overwhelmed them with information but I felt so bad for them they had been given such important work and tasks without much guidance or training. It is a great pleasure to give them what knowledge and skills I can and will ensure that they can continue the work once I am gone. We discussed the challenges they had in funding, getting the help they need and getting help that often left them with more issues to deal with. For example, I asked whether there was a benefit to having a doctor come to do surgeries on cataracts and ptygerium for a week. Karen said that they had had that happen before but all doctors have to be partnered with a licensed Dominican doctor and the bigger problem is follow up care. The doctors leave then she is left with infections and complications that she isn't able to handle or deal with. That is important to remember and be aware of when you are giving aid. What are you leaving behind? She also asked me about some special cases that she hasn't been able to figure out and would I be willing to see them. I said sure but I wasn't sure I could offer any more answers. It was time for a break for all of us. Karen needed a nap and Carol and I went to cool off in the pool.

It was lovely and peaceful but hard to completely enjoy knowing that the rest of my team was still slugging away under the beating sun on the building site. Carol then walked me over to the Nuevo Vida center where the eye clinic happens ever Wednesday. It is a beautiful new building and I am grateful for such a great facility to be working in. She showed me the set up, where the equipment would go and how they normally function through the day. Back at the condo, I ambitiosly agreed that with Carol's help and a few member's of our team, I think we can see 50 people in the 8 hours that the clinic will run. It will be a best case scenario if I can do an assessment, refraction and fitting in about 5-7mins but I think that anything that will take longer will really be out of my skills and abilities. It was late afternoon, Jane was back to pick me up to rejoin our team to tour Villa Paraiso one of the first villages built by The Samaritan Foundation and the location of their offices.
We were running late so Jane was a little frustrated when I stopped to hit a few balls with some kids playing baseball. Let's be honest, I'm not as good at baseball as I am at curling but it was worth it show them that the white lady in a skirt could actually hit the ball and wasn't too busy to play.
Typical street in the village. It was laundry day.
When I joined our team again, our leader Betty, kindly came over to welcome me back and with much concern asked about how hot my wokr had been as she notice my hair was wet and tangled. I humbly had to confess it was from being in the pool which quickly disapated any sympathy she might have had and she rolled her eyes. We were shown the local gardens that are worked by each family supported by the University of Guelph.
Termite nest
In the middle was this growth of bamboo that was over 100 years old.

The village has many small businesses and training facilities for woodworking and sewing so that there are opportunities for families to support themselves. One of our team members, Pat was pleasantly surprised to find a quilt that had been made by a group at her church hanging on the clothes line of one of the families. Back on the bus, we headed back to the hotel, tired but satisfied with our day's work. Our evening meeting was filled with many things we were truly grateful for which were easy to think of. It was decided that Linda and Pat would be joining me to work at the eye clinic tomorrow. I am grateful to have some familiar faces supporting and working with me in what would be a challenge for even and experienced and trained eye care team in a Canadian clinic. I am also concerned for them and our safety. We may be handling some seriously infected people and hand-washing and disinfecting will be imperative for the health of our patients, and our team. It is a manageable risk but one we still need to be acutely aware of in this situation. On the other hand, it is my great hope that we will be a great blessing to this community and that people will walk out of the clinic seeing the world more clearly. We will do our best to serve all those we meet. Also due to the long day, we will have to find our own way back to the hotel tomorrow, meaning taking local transportation. That's going to be an adventure all on it's own. Our team ended our meeting surrounding us in prayer. I completely trust that we are in God's good hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment