Sunday 26 January 2014

The Journey To Puerto Plata

We woke up to news of roads closures and blowing snow. Checking the airport website said that morning flights had been delayed but ours was still scheduled for 4pm. With emails and texts flying between our team members, one of which was being routed around closed roads, Geoff, Karen and myself just continued on course to get to the airport by 1pm.
Our bags were all packed and so we loaded everything into the van and waited for Geoff's parent's, caretakers of all kids and ferrets to arrive.
We also built a compound in the basement for the ferrets. Usually they have had lots of freedom when staying in the basement at the Vanderkooy house but Duncan & Lulu are new to this house and new to litter training so we needed to limit their environment. That is hard to accomplish with Seamus being the evil genius that he is and so this is what developed out of cardboard, gym mats and thier travel cages.

Satisfied, I went to get dressed and we packed food for the long day of travel ahead of us. In the 20 mins that took, I went back down to say one last good bye and sure enough Seamus had already escaped! We left it with the kids to figure out how he had done it and find a solution.






The drive to the airport along the 401 was not ideal however despite a few minor accidents we passed along the way, traffic was moving fairly well and we made it to the terminal in perfect time. Geoff's great mind kicked in to realize it was best to drop Karen and I off with all the luggage and then just he would have to shuttle back from the parking. One of the smartest things we did!

A little bit more shuffling of luggage took place to ensure that everyone's bags met the weight limitations and we trucked over to get checked in.
Now, I was carting, not just my personal stuff and donated glasses and equipment but a 2'X2'X2' 55lb box with the autofractor. I had done my research and arrangements well in advance of this moment. I had purchased a special upgrade for the addition weigh my luggage might be and I had a letter for the special handling of the auto refractor. Now with the shifting of luggage with the rest of the team, the good news was that I now only had to check 1 small personal bag that was 1/3 of the weight I was allowed but the auto fractor was coming in a little over with the extra packing we had put in. I was hoping the airline would give us some understanding with this. Also, with my upgrade, I got to check in at an express line. As I rolled my cart up to the counter, I handed all my paper work to the agent with a smile and let her do her job. This is when all that prep work sort of fell apart. Apparently the notes on my booking didn't match the letter and the auto refractor was not going to get the gate check in that I had been promised but instead would be put with the other humanitarian cargo and may not even get on this flight. Oh no, that wasn't going to happen. It took about 45 mins of negotiations, pulling up emails, calling supervisors and finally they allowed me to check it as my 2nd piece of luggage(Thank goodness they didn't weigh it and we didn't have to deal with that) and we had to go through special security(she was VERY kind and helpful when she found out what the machine was and for) and re-pack it and re label it FRAGILE.....THIS SIDE UP ALWAYS!!!! They also sent a message to the ground crew for when we landed to handle it with great care. At that point, I just had to trust that all would be well when we landed.

The weather had also cleared and our flight left on time and it was a smooth 4 hour flight that left the snowy weather behind us.
 Very relaxing for our team mate Paul

 On the flight, I was visiting with our team sitting in another area of the plane when on of the passengers said, "Excuse me, do you work at Lenscrafters in Masonville Mall?" I replied, "Yes I do!" He said," I thought I knew you from somewhere! My wife and I bought my glasses from you! They are great! You completely lectured me about cleaning them on my shirt and wearing them on my head! I haven't forgot that." Steve and Karrie are staying at the same place we are and thought it was VERY cool what our team was doing in the DR.

It was late when we arrived so it was straight to the hotel, sorting out luggage and then to bed. Unfortunately, I got the news that Karen, the lady that does most of the eye care work at the villages here fell 2 days ago and has cracked 2 vertebrae. She is currently still in the hospital and they are making other arrangements so that the equipment can still get set up and we can still do the work but I hope most of all she is taking the time to heal well.

1 comment:

  1. wait, whats wrong with wearing them on my head!? I didn't get that lecture!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete