Sunday 26 January 2014

This Trip Is Aging Me

Today is my 46th birthday. I woke up to a beautiful view of the ocean as the sun was rising.
This is new, usually there is a snow storm blowing around outside. It was a good night's rest after a long day of travel. The morning started with a drive to a batay(small village) of Esparansa(it means hope)where we attended a Haitian church.
But the team had a surprise for me as they presented me with a birthday card and a enthusiastic singing of Happy Birthday!
Esparansa is one of the first villages that The Samaritian Foundation completed. They moved 260 families out of tin shanties and into cement block homes with plumbing, heat, schools medical clinic and businesses. These families were refugees from Haiti that came to the Dominican to work in the sugar cane fields. A hard day's work cutting about a ton (literally) of cane would earn the worker about $4. 95% of the cane is used to make rum. That would be like 95% of the wheat grown in Canada being used to make Crown Royal. They have had a nomadic life changed into a living permanent community. The church service was vibrant and lively and although I didn't understand a lot of the Creole being spoken, It was amazing to be apart of their worship. As I listened to the joyful sounds around me, I was reminded of the Haitian voodoo exhibit I visited in Ottawa this fall at the Museum of Civilization. Although the sound of the crowd of voices speaking together in the same foreign language was similar the vast difference in tone was remarkable. The voodoo exhibit was dark and mournful, this was the sound of celebration and joy. After church we wandered the village and had a chance to shop from some of the local merchants.  We visited the local  Beads of H.O.P.E(Helping other People Eat) where jewelry is made from hand crafted paper bead. It is harder that it looks and it was fascinating to see where the card stock was being donated from-including a Tim Horton's timbit box!
After making our purchases we got on the bus to go back to the hotel for the afternoon
I felt a migraine coming on so quickly did my best to stave it off by getting some lunch and taking meds. An ice pack and an hour of bed rest and I tried to function for the rest of the afternoon. At least it was a day for some relaxation. However, even taking easy, it was soon clear that by dinner a stronger dose of meds was going to be necessary to get me through the night and to be clear and ready for our first day of work tomorrow. A stroll down to the beach for some fresh air and then to dinner as my meds started doing their job. Blessings from my great team as they arranged for the hotel staff to present me with a Birthday cake while singing Happy Birthday.
Handsome men bringing you treats always make you feel better. It was also wonderful having a chance to read all the warm greetings on Facebook from my friends back home. Our evening was spent sorting through all of the donated gifts we had brought with us to be distributed.
That includes the hundreds of glasses that I am hoping to fit with people over the next few days.

It was a challenge to figure out the best way to sort these and require a quick education of some of my team mate about what all those numbers mean. I am thankful I am with such smart people who are quick learners. Tomorrow is our first day on the construction site. I will be getting picked up to meet with the eye care team to figure out the new plan now that their leader is still injured. I trust that it will all work out but it is a little challenging to say- I have no idea what I am doing tomorrow or what I need to bring! Also, we are working on a way to upload the photos so please check back for updates. Heading to bed now to let the medication finish it's work, praying for a restful night and a clear head for our work day that starts at 8am.

No comments:

Post a Comment